Wellington Hall

Wellington Community Hall and Kitchen operated and maintained by the Wellington Community Association

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Wellington Hall History

Print

In the late 1940s Wellington was seperated from Nanaimo by 5 miles.  Wellington's long standing elementary school was closed during the war, and the building, which had been converted to an althetic centre for the Wellington community, had recently been burnt to the ground.  By the late 1940s there was nothing in Wellington for the kids.

About 1947 Emile Veillette, his brother and two others started a committee to look into ways of funding the building.  The lumber and land were donated by Wellington men and it took the volunteer workers only one summer, in 1950, to build the Wellington Hall.

In 1967, as one of the many projects to celebrate Canada's Centennial, the hall was expanded to include a stage, kitchen, bathrooms, storage and a second, smaller, hall adjacent to the original hall.

Built for the kids in 1950, the hall became the centre and gel of the community.  Today many of the halls patrons and volunteers are the same Wellington children for whom the hall was built, with many of the younger patrons and volunteers being their children, and grandchildren.

The Wellington Community is proud of its hall.  Not only does the hall provide a place for Wellington kids and seniors to have social activities, but it also serves as a reminder of the dedication, effort and values which enables the Wellington Hall to continue supporting its community.